Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Nanna & my nephews' birthday


The boys and I went to Joplin this weekend to celebrate my nephews' birthday. On Saturday, we drove over to Seneca to visit my grandmother, a.k.a. Nanna.
Nanna is 84 years old and is getting more frail as the years go by. Her memory is not so good, she fades in and out of conversations and talks about folks that have already passed.
She has trouble with her balance and sits mostly in her wheelchair.
Time and age does this to people. It's a part of life . . .
I remember times when Nanna chased after us and played on the ground with us.
I remember as a child when Nanna would come visit us and she would take such delight in telling us stories and singing us songs.
Seeing her was good. I hope it wasn't the last time that I'll ever see her. She has lived longer than her mother and father did. She outlived her brother too.
My mom says she wants to retire at the end of this year and move Nanna in with her. I would like that. I know Nanna would have a better quality of life living with my mom, and because of that she might just live longer too.

I know she enjoyed the visit we had. We took Chandler, one of my nephews, along with us.
Chandler sang songs for us, the boys played in the yard with sticks and leaves, and we even got to see Ziek dance. All in all, it was a great visit.
My other 2 nephews, Kole & Trey, were not able to come over on Saturday. Here's a photo of the boys at their party. Kole is on the left, Trey is on the right.

No comments: